Thursday, January 5, 2012

What's the Difference Between MP3 Players and iPods?

There is none! I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say "I couldn't afford an iPod so I bought an MP3 player." That's like someone saying "I couldn't afford a Corvette, so I bought a car." So, what exactly are MP3 players?

MP3s are a type of file on your computer that is music. Remember when we talked about how computers remember things and how they only actually use ones and zeros? Well, computers can remember lots of things. You're probably already familiar with some of them. If you've ever kept a picture or a letter on your computer those are examples of "files" on your computer. Music is just another kind of thing a computer can remember.

A lot of people get overwhelmed at the idea of digital music and MP3 players, but it's really just another step in the evolution of music. There were vinyl records, then 8track tapes, then cassette tapes, then CDs, and now MP3s. With each step we fit more, higher quality, music into more portable forms. The modern MP3 player can fit hundreds of songs into something as small as a Tic-Tac container. How does the music get in it? From your computer usually. (I won't go into the exceptions here. You can message me if you want to know.)

People often say iPod when they speak of MP3 players. I call this the "Kleenex Effect". Kleenex is a brand name of facial tissue that's so popular and ubiquitous that people often ask for it by name, even if they don't mean to. Apple Inc. (Formerly Apple Computers Inc.) is the maker of the iPod, and they're the ones that really made digital music players popular.

Practical Tip of the Day:
One of the most common questions I'm asked when someone first gets an MP3 player is "Do I have to buy all my songs over again?" For someone who's sunk lots of money and time into a CD collection, the idea of having to buy their music over again in digital form is quite daunting, but fear not! As I said earlier, MP3 players get their music from you computer. There is usually a program that helps the MP3 player and the computer "talk" with each other (think of it as a translator). These programs almost always have the ability to copy music from a CD into the computer in a digital form. This is called "importing". I usually will help people learn how to import their CDs before showing them how to buy new digital music.

P.S.- We're getting social! TechKNOWLEDGEy Today now has it's own Facebook page, Twitter account, and Google+ page. Check them out, and subscribe/like/follow to get notifications of blog updates and related news articles as they come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment