Thursday, November 15, 2012

What Are the Best Apps for Expectant Parents?

I'm happy to announce that after my long hiatus, I'll finally be able to get back to my regular Tuesday/Thursday schedule for blog posts since I've had my baby and have taken some time to recover and readjust. Thank you all for your patience! Because of this, I thought I'd share the apps that my husband and I found most helpful during my pregnancy:

1. "My Pregnancy Today" from BabyCenter was definitely the most used pregnancy app of the bunch as it links directly to BabyCenter's week-by-week updates on how your baby and your body are growing and changing as well as their numerous articles that are absolutely invaluable to expectant parents. It also gives you a checklist of things to do so nothing slips your mind like finding a pediatrician, taking your vitamins, or writing up your birth plan. This is the single "must have" app of the bunch in my opinion.

2. "My Baby's Beat" by Matis Inc. wins the award for coolest pregnancy app for sure. This $3.99 app super-sensitizes your iPhone's microphone so you can use it to listen to your baby's heartbeat in utero. Yes, you read that right. A $3.99 app lets you hear your baby's heartbeat. Now, a bit of a disclaimer here. It's not perfect and by no means replaces the dopplers you can buy to do this same thing, but if you're like me and don't want to spend $40 for something you'll only use a half dozen times, this is a great app, and if nothing else it impresses your friends and family.

3. "Full Term - Labor Contraction Timer" by Mustansir Golawala is the app I used to time my contractions for obvious reasons. It's simple, free and a great way to time contractions when you have to be on the move and can't be carrying around a pen and paper to write down the times. It was made by a husband looking for a way for his wife to time her contractions and he's subsequently released it for free for everyone else as a gift. How sweet is that?

Practical Tip of the Day:
Now, in theory, if you're reading this, you're looking to have a baby sometime in the near future. If that's the case, "iBabyLog: Baby Tracker" from the Palanati Group, LLC would be my recommendation for the brand-new parents. While you're in the hospital and for a few weeks afterwards, you'll be asked to track your baby's diapers, feedings, and other things. Instead of keeping a physical journal, this handy, free app lets you and all the baby's caregivers track these things easily and let it sync between everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment