Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why Do My Earbuds Shock Me Sometimes?

Has this ever happened to you? You going for a walk, listening to some music or your favorite podcast, and then all of a sudden you get a shock- right in your ears! Or maybe you get a series of crackling small shocks in both ears for a few seconds... Unpleasant isn't it? Why do we sometimes get a small shocks from our earbuds? Is it a sign that there's a problem with your earbuds? Is it dangerous?

Short answer, no, it's not dangerous. What's actually happening is electricity is jumping from the metal in your earbuds to the small hairs within your ears. While it may be unpleasant, it's generally not dangerous and nothing to worry about. Usually it's static electricity that's built up over the course of some time, and finally finding a place to discharge. This can become even more common during the winter time when the air is dryer.

The best way to avoid it while still using your earbuds is to simply touch something metal to help discharge the electricity. If you find it happening a lot, or if it's painful, you should check to see if there are any shorts in your headphones. You can do this by simply examining the cord for any small cuts or abrasions where the wiring may be exposed. Should you find such a flaw in your headphones, get a new pair or at least wrap up your current set with electrical tape.

Practical Tip of the Day:
If you are like me and intend to be very static prone, look to invest in earbuds that go in your ear. They usually have a plastic coating around them that will help prevent static shocks. While they tend to be more expensive than standard earbuds, they also tend to give you better sound quality. Apple has recently changed their earbuds to be called earpods and are specifically in-ear style only.

8 comments:

  1. I found that there is another factor to this issue. I sit at a desk and listen to music most of my day, and still get this. Check your shoes. I would get shocked multiple times a day from this, and found that after removing my doc martins the problem just went away. I think due to the thick rubber soles my body was getting grounded properly causing the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this awareness, Amanda. Static shock is a common issue that we encounter whenever we use earbuds. What I usually do in times like this is I rub the earbuds toward each other to lessen the static they have collected.

    Freeman Dundas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep basically what freeman said when you are rubbing around in your blanket or carpet, couch, ect. You are building static electricity and your earbuds are carriyng bits of electricity witch will attract the static from your hand to your phone to your ears if your have earbuds with metal pieces on the end get earbuds with rubber on the earpiece or just get a rubber fitting for your earbuds so you electricity wont sting your ears

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get shocked multiple times whenever I roll my chair from the computer to the printer. The chair is rolling on a plastic mat sitting on carpet. I decided to wrap my earbuds with duct tape and that seems to have stopped the shocks. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was getting shocked so much I got little pimples in my ears. My Gf never gets shocked... Anyways good to know its a common issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently found many useful information in your website especially this blog page. Among the lots of comments on your articles. Thanks for sharing.
    Earbuds

    ReplyDelete
  7. This only happens when my earbuds are plugged into my computer though. It does not happen when my earbuds are plugged in to my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Listening to music and receiving calls without having to touch your phone is no longer a utopia thanks to Bluetooth wireless Earbuds. But you need to find one that is powerful and attractive.

    Click here for more information best wireless earbuds

    ReplyDelete